Yong Zhao speaks around the world on educational issues, particularly on issues related to globalization and education, creativity, global competitiveness, educational reforms, and educational technology. His main messages are:
- Education should focus on developing children’s strengths, not “fixing their deficiencies.”
- Education is much more than the addition of instruction of course content, especially in a number of limited subjects.
- National standards/standardization have serious negative consequences.
- What makes a nation, a community strong is diversity of talents and creative citizens.
- To succeed in the globalized world, we need to cultivate global competences.
The following are videos of some his more recent speeches/interviews:
2. Catching Up or Leading the Way: American Education in the Age of Globalization. Keynote speech at Asia Socity’s A World Class Education conference on July 11, 2009, Washington DC.